Friday, September 11, 2009

Begin rant

Oh, for God's sake, what the hell is going on here? AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!.

End rant

Ok...got that off my chest. For those faithful readers out there that weren't in FM2 this morning for the weigh-in, I stepped on the scale and was rewarded with 301.6...which is exactly the same weight I was at 2 weeks ago...and about 4 lbs more than last week.

Ugh.

For the last 4 weeks my weight has been bouncing around all over the place. It's annoying as hell...and has gotten me pissed off about it, which, for me, is a good thing.

Ok...first, my bountiful list of excuses and justifications:
  1. I went to Disneyland and drank a ton of diet soda & ate a bag of sunflower chips (sodium intake spikes, gain water weight as a result)
  2. Got back into drinking water when I returned to work (sodium intake goes down, shed water weight)
  3. Forgot to take my blood pressure medication yesterday (it's a diuretic...skipping it makes me retain water weight)
  4. The sun was in my eyes
  5. There's a hole in my glove

Ok...now some admissions:

  1. I have not yet completed our trainer's weekly homework assignment to do 50 crunches, push-ups, and squats each day on the weekend.
  2. I only met my calorie intake goal three days last week.
  3. I missed my net calorie target twice last week

.....

ok...just got back from a walk from 4th floor FM7 to 4th floor FM6 and back (311 calories burned )

So...I had a rant, made some excuses, got honest with myself about my behavior, and took a walk to burn off some stress. What's next?

First, pat myself on the back for...well...not self-correcting, but at least self-diagnosing. Second, another pat on the back for all the work that got me this far. Third, a kick in the arse, which seems necessary at this point. Now that I'm good & pissy about where I'm at, I'm committing to doing all of the following:

  1. Meet or exceed my caloric burn target daily for a week, starting today
  2. Be at or under my caloric burn target daily for a week, starting today
  3. Increase the intensity of my M/W/F workouts (time to add a few pounds to my weight lifting routine)
  4. Do my 50/50/50 assignment on saturday and sunday
  5. Walk the FM6-FM7 circuit at least once each day, M-F
  6. Eat a piece of carrot cake tonight

Some of you may be wondering about number 5. At first glance, it seems stupid and/or counterproductive. Here's my thinking - I think a big part of my problem has been making excuses about why I'm eating more than my daily target of calories. So today I'm demonstrating for myself that I can have my cake and eat it too . I'm gonna eat a piece of cake, wash it down with a glass of milk, log my calories, and by God, I'm hitting my caloric target too. I had a light breakfast and lunch today, I've got plenty of calories left over to accomodate a snack, dinner, and dessert.


I think I relaxed a bit...started taking my weight loss for granted a bit. As I like to say, it's time for me to "get your head in the game or get off the field!"


Bottom line - for me, or anyone else out there that feels like progress towards their own wellness goals has stalled - now is not the time to be discouraged, or to entertain thoughts of defeat. Now is the time to take action - take an honest look at what you're doing and figure out what you're going to do differently. Because you already know what you're going to get out of what you're doing now!


"Don't be encumbered by the past, go out and do something wonderful!"

-Robert Noyce

No comments:

Post a Comment