Monday, September 28, 2009

You're never too old...

...for your mom to nag you! [:)]

I have been in the habit of posting my Largest Loser blogs externally too - so that my family and non-Intel friends can follow my progress. So...I came to work this morning, checked my email, and sure enough, there's a note from my mom saying,

"Time to update your blog. You're still ranting and raving on it. You're
down 10 lbs since your last blog.
Mom"

LOL

I love my mom...she's so rarely wrong. And she's living proof that people can change. A few years ago, my mom was a certified "technophobe", barely able to use a computer. Now she's on facebook and reminding me that I haven't blogged in a while.

What does this have to do with anything? Lots. First, people can change. No, really. I mean it. When the Largest Loser competition started I felt thoroughly and completely powerless and defeated regarding my weight. I've managed to do a lot of cool stuff through hard work and determination, but despite all my successes, I had zero confidence in my ability to take control of my weight and wellness.

But like I said, people change. I certainly have. About 6-8 weeks into the Largest Loser competition I noticed a change in my attitude. I've lost over 25 lbs so far (from 319 to 294) and am absolutely certain that I won't be putting that weight back on. Ever. Why am I so confident? Because I've gotten this far by making changes I can live with. I've got a risk-mitigation approach to this whole process. Others are making (much) bigger gains; I'm focused on doing only those things that I can comfortably do forever. I've found that MWF morning workouts fit nicely into my schedule, and I'm not denying myself anything when it comes to food - just being honest with myself about what I'm eating and owning responsibility for making sure I'm on target for my daily caloric intake. If my wife makes snickerdoodles (she has) and I want some (I do!) then I need to eat a little bit lighter throughout the day (I have).

So...if you're reading this and are feeling like you just can't do anything about your wellness, I hope this puts a crack or two into the walls you've put up. I used to feel intimidated by an ideal weight that was 75 lbs away. Now I can say with confidence, "25 lbs down, only 50 to go". Only 50. I'll be there by mid-year at the latest.

Oh...and I'm only 13 lbs away from my skiiing weight. Should be skiing with my kids by winter break.

Don't be encumbered by the past. Go out and do something wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. oops. corrected a typo (listed my current weight at 304...it's actually a tad under 294)

    ReplyDelete